Monday, March 15, 2010

Simplicity vs. DRY code

I was in a pickle today over whether or not to consolidate code or keep it a little bit wet for simplicity sake. I consider simplicity sake, going to a view and not having to unlock the rubric's cube of "if" logic. If you are not familiar with wet and dry code, wet is where you repeat yourself over and over and dry is where you "Don't Repeat Yourself (DRY)". I went with "Simplicity". I decided to consolidate parts of the view, yet repeat myself a little. I found this to be safe because I felt like the views would grow and I didn't want it to end up with a crazy page that only the maker has the key to unlocking its craziness. Yeah, we have all seen some of those old pages that are a disaster to debug and I didn't want to start that trend. Also, I wanted the next person behind me to get in and out of the view as quickly as possible. It wasn't very much fun going through every view and updating the same piece of code...but it was simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment